Monday, March 26, 2007

Books



Well I finally finished Culture Warrior and I'm trying to decide what book to read next.

I saw Candy's blog and the 2 she just bought sounded incredible. I think it's time for me to read a book on parenting and discipline. I know Raymond is only 8 months old but he really is getting so strong and verbal and getting into things so I am ready to start reading another book on discipling with love! :)

So if anybody has any suggestions let me know!

My Favorite Books and Authors:
1. The Bible
2. Captivating - Eldredge
3. anything by Francine Rivers
4. anything by Jan Karon
5. Gone With The Wind
6. Wild At Heart - Eldredge
7. Personality Plus
8. The 5 Love Languages
9. Culture Warrior
10. The Marriage Builder
11. Becoming Baby Wise
12. The Magic of Thinking Big
13. Rich Dad Poor Dad
14. anything by Mary Higgins Clark
15. anything by Nicholas Sparks
16. Matilda
17. Charlotte's Web
18. anything Disney
19. any Fairy Tale
20. Babysitters Club (man I lvoed these growing up) - I was so sad to give these up
21. Berenstein Bears (another favorite! - I look forward to when Raymond will love these so we can read them together)
22. Sweet Valley High Series!

I'm sure I'll think of more but that's all for now :)




I thought I'd do this for fun too --- so months from now or years I can see if I have finished any of these other ones I want to read someday:

The Book List
*Bold the ones you’ve read
*Italicize the ones you want to read
*Leave blank the ones that you aren’t interested in.

1. The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown)
2. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
3. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
4. Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell) - my project when I was pregnant with Raymond! :)
5. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Tolkien)
6. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Tolkien)
7. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (Tolkien)
8. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery)
9. Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)
10. A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry)
11. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Rowling)
12. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)
13. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Rowling)
14. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)
15. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden)
16. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (Rowling)
17. Fall on Your Knees (Ann-Marie MacDonald)
18. The Stand (Stephen King)
19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Rowling)
20. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
21. The Hobbit (Tolkien)
22. The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
23. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)

24. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)
25. Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
26. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
27. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
28. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis)
29. East of Eden (John Steinbeck)
30. Tuesdays with Morrie (Mitch Albom)
31. Dune (Frank Herbert)
32. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks)
33. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)
34. 1984 (Orwell)
35. The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley)
36. The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett)
37. The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)
38. I Know This Much is True (Wally Lamb)
39. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)
40. The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)
41. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel)
42. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
43. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella)
44. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom)
45. Bible - working on going all the way straight through this year. I'm determined to do it. and I'm in I Chronicles.
46. Anna Karenina (Tolstoy)
47. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)
48. Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt)
49. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
50. She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb)
51. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)
52. A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)

53. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card)
54. Great Expectations (Dickens)
55. The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald)
56. The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence)
57. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Rowling)
58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough)
59. The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)
60. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrew Niffenegger)
61. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)
62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)
63. War and Peace (Tolstoy)
64. Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice)
65. Fifth Business (Robertson Davis)
66. One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
67. The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (Ann Brashares)
68. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
69. Les Miserables (Hugo)
70. The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)
71. Bridget Jones’ Diary (Fielding)
72. Love in the Time of Cholera (Marquez)
73. Shogun (James Clavell)
74. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)
75. The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett)
76. The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay)
77. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith)
78. The World According To Garp (John Irving)
79. The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)
80. Charlotte’s Web (E.B. White)
81. Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley)
82. Of Mice And Men (Steinbeck)
83. Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier)
84. Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind)
85. Emma (Jane Austen)
86. Watership Down(Richard Adams)
87. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)
88. The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)
89. Blindness (Jose Saramago)
90. Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer)
91. In The Skin Of A Lion (Ondaatje)
92. Lord of the Flies (Golding)
93. The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck)
94. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)
95. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)
96. The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton)
97. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)
98. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)
99. The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield)
100. Ulysses (James Joyce)


Just talking about books gets me so excited! What a dork I am! I LOOOOVE BOOKS and I LOOOOOVE to read! Books are some of my best friends. Yes, my love language is words. I really feel the only way we get better and grow are by the books we read and people we meet.

In my dream house, all I want a HUGE library full of books I've read or want to read ---- like this:




Or better yet like this:



I remember watching Beauty & The Beast in the theatre with my mama when it came out -and my favorite part was this part - man I was jealous of Belle! :)

5 comments:

Candy said...

My book suggestions are:
- a woman after Gods own heart by Elizabeth George
- simple secrets to a beautiful home by Emilie Barnes
- the power of a praying wife by Stormie Omartian
- His Princess, love letters from your king by Sheri Rose Shepherd
All of which I posted pictures of on my blog

hugs,
Candy

Susan said...

I so agree with what you've said about books, Randi. I love my books and I have many that I have read over & over again. My books are like my friends and I just can't part with them. I have many favorites but the one book that has impacked my life more than any other, besides THE WORD of course, is "Arthur Murray on Prayer". It is a large book which actually contains 6 separate books titled: 1)Abide in Christ 2)The Prayer Life 3)Waiting on God 4)With Christ in the School of Prayer 5) The Ministry of Intercession &6) The Secret of Intercession.

We first read this book in July 2000. Again in December, 2000; July 2002 and January 2004.

It literally changed our life. Murray lived from 1828-1917.

pearlie said...

Oh boy ... talking about books gets me tingling all over! lol

I think I am a really book nut :)
And yup, I have been dreaming about those libraries -- the double storey one. Thanks for giving me a visual now! lol

I think I will do the book list at my musings blog, and I just blogged about books too :)

pearlie said...

BTW, where did you get the list? I read 21 of them -- not as bad as I thought :)

pearlie said...

Randi,
Yes, I am glad we have a shared interest. Let me know when you have listed out your books. I suggest you use aNobii, then you can import it into Excel or something. I started before I knew about all these tools.