Thursday, March 15, 2007

TV

Well while I'm "talking" about TV - I'd like to add these notes I found about TV watching. To connect with God we need to be still - and being still does not mean SITTING still on the couch - it means sitting quietly, TV off, with or without Bible, just sitting and communicating. We have so much stimulation all day long, God can't really GET His messages to us unless we are open to them!

But besides the fact that the messages TV's send are sooo horrifying and are blatant LIES - there are also some secular reasons NOT to watch TV.

Television cuts into family time, harms our children's ability to read and succeed in school, and contributes to unhealthy lifestyles and obesity. Here are just a few of the facts:

On average, children in the US will spend more time in front of the television (1,023 hours) than in school this year (900 hours).

Forty percent of Americans frequently or always watch television during dinner.

As US Surgeon General Dr. David Satcher said at the Kick Off of TV-Turnoff Week 2001, "We are raising the most overweight generation of youngsters in American history...This week is about saving lives."

Turning off the television gives us a chance to think, read, create, and do. To connect with our families and engage in our communities. So turn off TV and turn on life.

5 comments:

roffe said...

Hi! Greetings from Norway!

Candy said...

Hiya!! Thanks for dropping by :)
WOW, I can tell I love your blog already! Loved this post and couldnt agree more about the issues of too much TV. There is so much trash that they allow to air on the television nowadays, I dont know what to say about it all anymore, but you said it quite well! :)
Love your blog, love your picture too...very pretty!
I'll be back again for sure,
Candy

roffe said...

Hello Randi, I've lived i Norway most of my life, but I've worked in Japan(Kyoto)and in the Nederlands(Rotterdam)when I was young.
Have a wonderful time ahead.

(and I almost don't watch TV, mostly the news)

pearlie said...

I totally agree but while saying this the TV is blaring in the background :) oops...
I used to know what goes on everyday on TV and what time but then again that was when we have only 2-3 channels. Not anymore but still I don't really know what's going on when with the 2-3 channels I usually watch.

With my 9 year old son though, if he starts watching particularly Playhouse Disney or the Disney Channel, he never stops until I stop him. While he learns while watching sometimes, there is a limit and as parents, we must know when. Anyway, he has been having so much homework lately that he was complaining to me that he has not been watching tv for a long time. But TV is not his vice per se, it's the computer.

Heather K said...

Hi Randi
Just came over from Candy's blog... thought I'd leave a comment and let you know I've been here. I really agree with your views on tv... I have 4 kids and we don't watch tv on a regular basis. We only get two channels and somehow my hubby did something with the channel programming and now we don't get any channels!! YAY!! I told him not to worry about fixing it.. I love it. We do watch movies but this is SO much easier to monitor than regular tv! It just fills our mind with garbage and steals our time... in other words...our life...thanks for the great post!
Heather