Monday, February 25, 2008

Worship

I have been meaning to write about worship and styles of worship for quite a while. I've been thinking about it ever since I read a post on Adrienne's blog. Then last week Melanie wrote about how much she enjoys worshipping God on Sunday mornings. And God continues to give me this message. It seems that when He tries to teach or convey a certain message - He gives it to all of us at the same time, isn't that awesome!? I have had 3 separate conversations in the past 2 weeks about this topic and THEN when I was driving home today listening to that song, "back to the heart of worship" I just knew as soon as I got home, I needed to get this out before my boys got home for dinner!! God has really laid this on my heart bigtime recently. I have to humbly admit that only in the past 3 months have I truly started to understand and appreciate WORSHIP. I've been on both sides of it (people who contribute, people who watch) and I have learned so much!

I remember when I was little, seeing the people raise their hands in our church -- and I just didn't get it. I was singing just to sing - I was singing becuase *I* liked the feeling *I* felt. I wasn't really singing to God, I wasn't offering ME and so I didn't understand what they were feeling or doing.



Years later, I went to my first Yankee Game ---- my first Yankee game I ever went to was when David Cone pitched a perfect game --- the stadium was going NUTS! I realized that EVERYBODY, every single person in the stadium was throwing their hands in the air, dancing, shouting, "praising" even (ouch) this man and this team. I realized, that I throw my hands in the air in a SECOND for the athletes I love, the musicians I've seen in concert..... Why didn't I understand it when people were doing it for GOD, The creator of the WHOLE ENTIRE universe, the King of Kings, Lord of Lords?

He wasn't really real to me yet..... I didn't have the personal relationship. I didn't yet realize that someday I would be at that point where I just want to give to Him and BE with Him, and worship in whatever style I choose.



HE is the ONE, the ONLY ONE that actually DESERVES our worship - whatever style that may be --- but the devil distracts us, or tries to.



So I've been thinking about this a lot - and then I picked up C.S. Lewis again - I LOVE all his books....and I was reading portions of the ScrewTape Letters. I realized that the devil and his people will do whatever they can to distract us from God. To try to take our focus and attention off of him. So my opinion is:

WORSHIP God - it's not only OKAY to worship physically, emotionally in whatever form YOU want to --- but it's what He desires! There are times now when I absolutely lose my voice during worship and I just lift up my hands --- as a symbol to Him that I am giving Him myself and totally "letting myself go". It's what we are called to do (not lifting up our hands -- but I mean worshipping....in whatever style you worship in)

It is our ultimate and defining purpose! So do it!!! Figure out what styles of worship you can offer! If you're the type that will throw your hands up in the air during a Yankees game like me --- then when you feel called to do it to your God -do it!!! It's so appropriate! Don't hold back! It's not weird --- and it's okay if people misunderstand --- I always misunderstood and was curious what people were doing during worship when I was little...but now worship during service is my favorite time. You do it for God, not for others!!

If worshipping physically is not your style of worship - and you feel uncomfortable - or if it makes you focus on YOU - then by all means DON'T. Just like everything else I keep talking about - it's all about your heart.

If you get distracted by OTHERS in their style of worship - the only thing I can say is take off your robe and close your eyes! Close your eyes is a big one for me -- why do people look around during church anyway? We should learn the words of the songs that our worship band sings - so we can close our eyes and not be distracted by others!



And that's all I have to say about that for now! :)



He desires worship! It's not only appropriate --- but we are designed for it. Don't let your mind or our society mess you up --- be with Him and worship Him! The Truth is always opposite of what the world and what your mind tell you. Listen to your Spirit.






picture taken from http://www.flickr.com/photos/christinaleong/149809126/

5 comments:

Toia said...

Great post. I agree with everything you said about worship. I believe your worship time is a quiet and intimate time you spend with the Lord. It's an one on one time with Him whether you are in church with a lot people around, in the car, or in the comfort of your home. God does not look at the formality of worship, because everyone worships differently, He looks like the at authencity of your heart.

This remind me of a worship song:
Here I am to worship
Here I am to bow down
Here I am to say that you're my God
Altogether Lovely
Altogether worthy
Altogther wonderful to me!

I love it!!

Toia said...

Oops!! I meant He looks at the authencity of your heart. I don't know how I messed that up considering I read over it three times.

melanie said...

What a wonderful post! I do enjoy worshiping the Lord.

Candy-Faith said...

Great post Randi :)
I agree that God doesnt look at what form we worship, He's just happy that we worship Him and love Him, however we show it.. and like another commenter said, the authencity of our heart.
It all depends on how I feel during a service. Sometimes I may feel totally on fire for God and I may lift up my hands, sometimes I even feel like jumping and dancing although I have to admit I have held myself back a bit (I know, I know, I shouldnt but dont we all a little bit? but sometimes I havent held back either) Sometimes I just sit in my pew and close my eyes and raise my hands and not even sing but just rock back and forth and praise God. Sometimes I dont raise my hands. Many times when I feel moved I cry. I always bring tissues with me to Church. I love leaving Church and just feeling so full and refreshed and peaceful. I love Sundays :)
Hugs!

Randi Jo :) said...

Candy,
I am the same --- whenever I feel the Spirit at all - instantaneous tears come. So I tear up quite often haha and I'm okay with that now. It took a while to be okay with that part of me haha.

As far as worshipping --- yes I am the same - I don't always offer my hands - sometimes I'm just talking to Him in the pew sitting. Sometimes I am just singing. Sometimes I am dancing --- but yes I do hold back - sometimes I feel like shouting and running up and down the aisles with excitement (my sanguine personality) but I hold that back. I do restrain myself during worship on Sunday mornings a lot - but I look forward to the day when I see Him face to face and when I am totally "beyond the flesh" -- and just absolutely free and absolutely not held back at all in my worship to Him - even if I'm in the presence of others. What an extraordinary thing to think about! :)

Thank you all so so so so much for your comments! Love ya! :)