Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The New Spirit-Controlled Woman by Beverly LaHaye

I haven't read this book yet...but while searching on the web just now, 11:15 at night, for an answer to a worry I am having... I "stumbled" divinely across this book and as I read the excerpt...I felt God talking to me.

Some excerpts I read....

How could God use me when there seemed to be something missing in my life? Could He ever use me for His glory? .......

.....Although the Holy Spirit dwells in a believer's heart at the moment of salvation, the filling of the Holy Spirit is when a believer completely submits to the Holy Spirit. This filling was the missing dimsension from my life.....

The fear, anxieties (doubts that I would ever fulfill my "potential", worry that nobody would ever see the gifts and talents I was given and give me the chance to use them) that possessed me were not from God. "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind" 2 Timothy 1:7. This is exactly what I lacked! I needed power, love and a sound mind to let God do whatever He chose to do with my life. I knew my limitations and that I could only do this by turning the control of my life over to the Holy Spirit.

It was also helpful when I realized that I was wrong in not accepting myself as God had created me. "I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well" (Psalm 139:14)

Dr Brandt talked to me about confessing my fears and anxieties as sin, "for whatever is not from faith is sin" (Romans 14:23) and then asking to be filled with the Holy Spirit. I admit there was no outward sign or expression except for a beautiful and quiet peace that settled in my heart. God was beginning to do a work in me that would be far more effective than anything I could do myself. I wanted to do the impossible for God. My new discovery did not change me overnight, in a week or even a month. But as I began to daily draw on that power, love and sound mind, God was working within me. The missing dimension had been found. My natural temperment was still a part of me, but God was going to work on my weaknesses.

This couldn't be more real to my heart right now. I feel like I could have written these words.
The book goes on to talk about our temperments, how they influence our lives, and more importantly how the Holy Spirit can create in us a new heart and build in us a Spirit-controlled life.

OHH I NEED to read this book! I thank God for these excerpts He lead me to tonight. There is hope. There is a plan. My life has meaning and purpose and I will be used!

1 comment:

Robin said...

I've actually read The Spirit-Controlled Man by Tim LaHaye. I will have to look for this one :)