Friday, October 3, 2008

"As A Man Thinketh"

I really believe in the power of 'small' decisions. I know it's a recurring theme on all my blogs.

My grandma's quote on this topic was always, "take care of your pennies & the dollars will take care of themselves". She was literally talking about money - but it is true in every area of our lives! The way to make huge, long term improvements is with small, consistent improvements in our daily lives! You take care of your minutes, and you are taking care of your future.

The ability to make small decisions to get us on the right track always starts with what goes in. What we put into your mind. Are we allowing in words of faith, hope, and Truth or words that discourage, distort and are full of negative? The Bible says, be careful what you think; your life is shaped by your thoughts. Proverbs 4:23. It also says, faith cometh by hearing. Hearing the Truth.

In the Purpose Driven daily email from today, it talked about ways to change our behavior and I wanted to share some excerpts:

  • My interpretation influences my situation. It’s not what happens to me that matters as much as how I choose to see it. The way I react will determine whether the circumstance makes me better or bitter..... I've also heard it put this way....
  • Life is a grindstone, whether it grinds you down or polishes you up, depends on what you are made of... so the question is, what are we made up? We are made of what we allow in/put in.
  • My self-talk influences my self-esteem. You are constantly talking to yourself unconsciously. When you walk into a room full of strangers, what do you tend to think about yourself? To develop more confidence you’re going to have to stop running yourself down! “As he thinks in his heart, so is he”(Proverbs 23:7 NKJV). I completely believe this to be true. Our perceptions can distort the truth so much. I just assume the best until I see otherwise. Its amazing how when we start assuming the best, we start experiencing, seeing feeling the best. I have a quote on myspace that I think about a lot. It's, I am what I perceive you believe me to be. Assume the best about yourself & others. Never assume other's motives or what others are thinking or feeling - you know what happens when we assume :)

We are headed away for a wedding. I am SO excited about spending time with my hubby alone. We are excited about sleeping in for the first time in literally years. My man is so wise and so full of peace. "Still waters run deep" is my man to a tee. He is the one who taught me most of these lessons. Not with words always but mostly just how he lives out what he reads. He always assumes the best in everybody and every situation and is a joy to be around because of it. He's at peace and that makes others around him feel at peace as well. Anyway, I could go on and on about 'Mr B'. I am so blessed. :)

No comments: