Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Dear John - Nicholas Sparks (Fiction)

This blog will mostly be devoted to the Bible & other religious writings.... BUT I read Dear John by Nicholas Sparks and actually it did touch me and I wanted to share passages of it. God can speak to us through anything :)


I really related to the character Savannah. She loved people. She says, I've always loved people who have this... passion for life...... Passion is passion. It's the excitement between the tedious spaces, and it doesn't matter where it's directed. Well, most of the time, anyway. I'm not talking vices here... It can be coins, sports, politics, horses, music....the saddest people I've ever met in life are the ones who don't care deeply about anything at all. Passion and satisfaction go hand in hand and withotu them any happiness is only temporary, because there's nothign to make it last.... I love hearing people talk about their passion. That's when you see a person at his best, and I've found that someone else's happiness is usually infectious. page 71

I agree with most of this. I love hearing talk about their passion. and I just love learning about new things.

I guess I just am so against being luke-warm about things so even if a person is passionate about something I don't agree with - I'd rather a person be like that then luke warm.

I believe that God will eventually steer passionate people in the right direction. At least they are moving. God can't steer a parked car.

:)

The other passage I wanted to share was a bit of the end narrative. You have to read the book to really 'get' this.... but:

Tim had told me - and shown me - that love meant that you care for another person's happiness more than your own, no matter how painful the choices you face might be. Doing the right thing isn't always easy (the majority of the time, the right thing isn't easy).

1 comment:

Robin said...

Hi Randi,

I'm glad that I have your blog linked on mine to show when you do updates because then I can just check the link for updates - time saver - then I hurry over to see what you are recommending.

The book sounds interesting and I must agree with you about passion. If we are passionate about something its not lukewarm.

I'm reading a heavy fictional book by Jerry Jenkins now colded Riven. Just got it from the library yesterday and I'd like to avoid all else and just read, but you know thats not possible... I did sacrifice some sleep last night and will probably do it again tonight - for shame.